Nan khatai is an authentic Indian sweet and savory eggless cookie that can be easily prepared at home. In its authentic recipe, ghee, maida, rava (sooji), gram flour (besan) and sugar are used but now a days it is generally prepared without using gram flour and rava.This indian shortbread is best when served with a hot cuppa tea.Before further delay lets go over the ingredients so that you can get started.
- Whole Wheat Flour-1 cup
- Semolina or Rava or Suji-1/2 cup
- Gram Flour-1/3 cup
- Sugar-1/2 cup
- Ghee-1/2 cup
- Baking Powder-1 teaspoon
- Cardamom-1 teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds-1 teaspoon
- Any other dry fruits of your choice
- Whisk together melted or room temperature ghee with sugar till its well incorporated and pasty,add cardamon and cumin seeds to it
- Mix the dry ingredients-whole wheat flour,gram flour,semolina,baking powder and sieve out the lumps
- Now add the dry mix to the ghee and sugar paste and form a soft dough, don’t over-mix
- Draw tiny balls and press them to give a circular shape, you can use a cookie cutter for a different shape or use a fork to give a design to it
- Finally line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the cookie dough leaving 1/2 inch gap between them to avoid sticking
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C and bake the cookies for 7-8min till you see cracks appearing on the cookie and fragrance of cumin and cardamom filling your kitchen.
- Once baked take the cookie out to cool a bit before transferring on to a tray
Thats it , its so simple 🙂
Cookies prepared with these basic 5 ingredients are not only crispy they crumble in your hand and very light in texture.I used whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour or maida to make it a healthy substitute and perfect for binging on and adding as a supplement to your meals.You can add honey to the recipe and use soaked dates to add sweetness to the cookie instead of sugar.
Hope you enjoyed reading, do try out the recipe and let me know in comments how it went.